Facebook [External Link]Twitter [External Link]

Lambretta Model 125 D/LD

Years produced: 1951 - 1954 (D)
Amount produced: 122,641
Engine: 1 cylinder, air cooled 2-stroke
Induction: piston ported
Bore: 52 mm
Stroke: 58 mm
Cubic capacity: 123 cc
Compression ratio: 6.5:1
BHP at rpm: 5 @ 4600
Transmission: 3 speed (hand)
Lubrication: 5%
Carburetor: Dellorto 18 B2 or B3
Ignition: contact breaker & points
Ignition timing: 28 degrees BTDC
Breaker gap: 0.3-0.4 mm
Voltage: 6 volt
Wheel size: 8"
Tire size: 4 x 8
Max speed: 45 mph
Total dry weight: 154 lbs

Years produced: 1951 - 1956 (LD)
Amount produced: 131,665
Engine: 1 cylinder, air cooled 2-stroke
Induction: piston ported
Bore: 52 mm
Stroke: 58 mm
Cubic capacity: 123 cc
Compression ratio: 6.5:1
BHP at rpm: 5 @ 4600
Transmission: 3 speed (hand)
Lubrication: 5%
Carburetor: Dellorto 18 B2 or B3
Ignition: contact breaker & points
Ignition timing: 26 degrees BTDC
Breaker gap: 0.3-0.4 mm
Voltage: 6 volt
Wheel size: 8"
Tire size: 4 x 8
Max speed: 45 mph
Total dry weight: 187 lbs

 

LAMBRETTA MODEL 125 D/LD HISTORY

After a couple of years of honorable service in the ranks of scooterdom, the Lambretta C was retired and the torch was passed on to a new model that had been thoroughly redesigned in terms of the mechanical system and the suspension. The new Lambretta was presented to the world on the 15th of December 1951 near the "Centro Studi" offices of the Innocenti factory by the engineering director Lauro and the son of the founder, Luigi Innocenti.

The selling points of the new D and LD versions were better suspension and comfort and more power and security. The lines of the new Lambretta was essentially the same as the preceding model, except that the whole scooter was lengthed slightly to make room for the new suspension system and other small modifications.

The most important improvement is without a doubt the completely redesigned propulsion system. The transmission was simplified, and the cooling system was enlarged to ensure the efficiency of the scooter even in the most difficult conditions and was attached to the frame by a solid pivot pin which served also as the swing arm for the rear suspension. The rear wheel was positioned across from the engine and was held by a torsion bar crosswise to the frame under the motor, which gave a comfortable ride and variable flexibility.

To keep the swing connecting rod system for the wheel, a front shock was added on the front of the scooter. The springs were housed inside the tubes of the front fork and all the moveable parts of the suspension were hermetically sealed in oil to be protected from water and dust. The exhaust system was also revised by enlarging the muffler and changing the composition of the material inside, thereby reducing the overall noise of the scooter.

The D and LD series were certainly one of the most successful and most appreciated of all of Innocentis production. Sales were exceptional and for many people, this series would remain the most perfect of all Lambrettas.

In 1953, the series underwent numerous mechanical improvements including an expansion of the front brakes, aluminum handlebars, plastic levers, motor supports made of rubber to dull vibrations, and control of the rear brakes by bowden cables.

Besides these technical modifications, the bodywork of the LD was revised with a small plastic shield placed on the front legshield, and oval-shaped grilles on the side panels to allow heat to escape. Innocenti also offered the possibility to mount a practical glovebox on the rear part of the side panels.

With these numerous modifications to the LD, this new version became officially known as the LD 53, whereas the D model did not undergo any name change to identify the new model.

Strangely, the earlier LD from 1952 was offered in three different colors, gray, green, and tan, but the updated LD 53 was only available in gray. The more economic Lambretta D was still available in all three paint schemes.

Other changes that were introduced in 1954 mostly concerned the different color of the saddle, from brown to dark green, and two indicators on the handlebars for the clutch and the front brakes. Another added option offered in 1954 was the electric start via a 6 volt battery placed in front of clutch cover. A small plastic lever on the handlebars near the gear shifter controlled the ignition of the electrical system. On this luxurious model, larger and more comfortable seats were mounted as well as two gray plastic sheaths covering all the control cables. These improvements were soon introduced on the normal LD version as well.

It is interesting to note that during the first year of production, the economic D model was far ahead in sales, more than double that of the LD. In 1954, the tables had turned and the LD sold a few thousand more than the D. By the end of 1954, Innocenti introduced the new Lambretta D and LD 150, leaving the 125cc version to become the Lambretta F. At the same time, the fantastic production of the 125 D and LD ceased after three years of unbeatable sales records, which was a very important commercial success for Innocenti.